Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Fray


In life, there are many things that go on at a time. What we want to do and what we have to do is always the main battle. I have been fighting this battle for a long time. No wins so far. Every year around this time I will start asking myself, “is this what I really want to do in life?” the answer is always no. I hate my job. The reality is, taking calls talking to disgruntled users no matter which company or which country is never enjoyable.

What I do have is a love for creation. I love electronics and bike building. Things that will stimulate my brain while I ponder for days on what to do and how to do it. It’s this out of the box games that I like to play. When I'm done, I am satisfied (for like 30 seconds, then I wanna tear it apart and do it again differently). But in a country where the culture doesn’t like people who are different, you don’t expect its inhabitants to be forgiving too. One will never really roll the way you want. Somehow, someone will fight against you and tell you that you shouldn’t be doing this at all. Worse still is if they don’t even give you a chance to try.

People always say life is an uphill battle. This is so true in my life. Nothing ever came easy for me. And it still doesn’t. Everything in my life comes with a price. And this price is a hefty sum to pay.
Every year the uphill battle that I fight is equivalent of hiking up Mount Everest.  There is always a hard climb up. Then when things seem to get better, you actually think you have made it to the top, but in reality it is like reaching one of those plateaus that seems flat, maybe has a slight incline but nothing compared to what you just climbed. You take the moment to be happy and forget that you’re not even close to getting where you’re supposed to be. You think you have passed the peak and are headed downhill. Until you reach the end of the plateau and get reminded of the steep wall of a mountain you still have to climb. Except, where earlier you thought it was a tough climb, now it is a steep cliff with jagged edges. I don’t know about you dear reader, but this is life for me. And it is a cycle that goes on for the many years I have been alive.

While the hill climbing is going on, you also have to be a clown and juggle some things while doing this GREAT mountain climb. The climb is your life, now, take the things that are important in your life that you want to do and people/things you want to do in life but don’t have the time, imagine that these things are balls. Start juggling. Although you don’t see it, in juggling, some balls are in the air longer than others. This is also true with the life you have. Every day you choose which one of these “balls” are more important. Eventually, you will realize that one of the balls will be ignored. In my case, several balls have been ignored and probably fell on the floor.

Moral of the story is:
- life is always an uphill battle
-  don’t celebrate going downhill till you’re dead
- don’t deny it, some of what you really want to do eventually gets left behind (is if for a better cause? Who knows)


By Vy

No comments: